Friday, August 22, 2008

About me

I’ve been thinking if this blog should be just a little health encyclopedia, or if it should be more personalized, with things about myself, and so implicitly about my health problems. I decided to choose the second, even if people usually run away from illness stories and other problems, and even if this way I would expose an intimate part of my life and so I would be more vulnerable. But mostly, I would not be me, the one from today, without these problems; I wouldn’t have got to search all these information if I would have had a perfect health. This way, you’ll understand why I’m looking for certain information (and maybe I don’t know a thing about other health problems), like goitrogens or low glycemic index. And last, but not least, when I first started to search for info in the medical encyclopedias, on the internet and even at some doctors, I admit that I haven’t found much. In Romanian, I have found almost nothing, so I would help at least as a translator for the people who know only Romanian.

I decided to write this blog in two languages because I thought it should be readable not only by the people in my country but also by the people all over the world. But I realized yesterday, writing my first post, how hard it is for me to write strictly in Romanian. Just like the Spanglish in the USA, I felt like mixing Romanian and English together. Because I have so many words or expressions that come easier in English and I haven’t seen this so far. I hope I won’t make many mistakes in any of the languages, because my software-developer profession has kept me away from “long talking” and I am a little out of practice.

So a very brief enumeration of my health problems would be:
- an appendectomy – made in a hurry, in a period of time when I wasn’t asking myself so many questions (whether it is necessary, whether it could be avoided,…); I had just entrusted myself to the doctors’ hands;
- a laparoscopic gallbladder removal – It was indeed after six awful crises in a half an year, so this surgery was not quite easy to avoid; but now I’m asking myself a lot of questions whether those gall stones could not have been removed some other way, because since then I feel worse and worse regarding my overall health;
- an Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) – which I try to cure because it is so depressingly unpleasant to have tummy aches and to become bloated every single afternoon/evening
- a Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome – that I will detail a lot :D
- a Hashimoto autoimmune thyroiditis – that will also not be overlooked.

No comments: